CHICAGO - Governor Rauner's choice to agree with the Democrat majority in the Illinois House and Senate that taxpayers should pay for abortions was what Planned Parenthood and abortion advocates wanted - but it just isn't enough.
At the time, Planned Parenthood Illinois President Jennifer Welch thanked Governor Rauner for signing HB 40, saying, “HB 40 ends the discriminatory practice of denying women coverage based on how much money she makes or where she works. Whether she has private or government-funded health insurance, every woman should have access to a full range of pregnancy-related care, including abortion.”
Monday, JB Pritzker attacked Rauner as not pro-abortion enough. Rauner hasn't come out against Brett Kavanaugh. He hasn't attacked Donald Trump enough.
"Bruce Rauner has backed Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh since day one. Despite the devastation he could have on women’s rights, workers’ rights, and healthcare, Rauner called Kavanaugh 'impressive,'" Pritzker's press release says. "With the future of Roe v. Wade in jeopardy, it should be no surprise that the man who bragged about being the “strongest supporter” of anti-choice candidates would have no qualms supporting Kavanaugh. Now, Kavanaugh faces multiple sexual assault allegations while Rauner refuses to rescind his endorsement."
“Brett Kavanaugh could be the deciding vote in overturning Roe v. Wade, but supposedly ‘pro-choice’ Bruce Rauner is firmly by his side,” said Pritzker campaign spokesman Jason Rubin. “Rauner continuing to support Kavanaugh tells Illinoisans all they need to know about how this governor has failed women when it matters most.”
Even though the governor signed the measure as they wanted, and Rauner and his wife gave over $50,000 to sponsor an April 2017 Planned Parenthood event, they're still not happy with him.They chose to endorse J.B. Pritzker instead (who also sponsored the Planned Parenthood event).
- J.B. supports raising the minimum wage so that the American dream is a possibility for struggling Illinois families, especially those headed by women.
- J.B. will stand up to Donald Trump’s attempts to cut funding for Planned Parenthood and rollback federal protections for women’s healthcare, like access to birth control.
- J.B. will push to strengthen the Illinois Equal Pay Act and end the regressive practice of employers asking about salary history.
- J.B. is committed to growing the Child Care Assistance Program so that more children have access to affordable child care.
- This is why Planned Parenthood Illinois Action is proud to endorse J.B. Pritzker for Governor of Illinois.