LAKE COUNTY - Every day it looks more and more like the Illinois House could call for a vote on the Equal Rights Amendment - and if three-fifths of the GOP House members follow several of their colleagues in the Illinois Senate and vote to support the measure, they will pay a price.
So says the Lake County Right to Life, who, along with several pro-life groups, say they will refuse to endorse any lawmaker that chooses to support the ERA. Why? Because the ERA is a "pro-abortion" vote.
- Passed the Illinois Senate on April 11th, 2018
- It is a U.S. Constitutional Amendment
- Was introduced in 1972, the intent always has been to ingrain abortion rights in the United State Constitution
- A vote for ERA is a pro-abortion vote
- ERA would overturn abortion restrictions (parental notice, waiting periods, third trimester abortions, and partial-birth abortion bans)
- Lake County Life PAC joins with the Illinois Federation for Right to Life PAC, Illinois Citizens for Life PAC, Illinois Family Action PAC, and Illinois Family PAC will not endorse or support any legislator who votes for the ERA.
- ERA could overturn the Hyde Amendment (the Hyde Amendment prohibits Federal taxpayer funding for abortion except in cases of rape and incest).
- ERA would end conscience protections for nurses, doctors and hospitals who do not want to participate in preforming abortions.
- ERA would threaten tax exemptions for private\religious schools that are morally opposed to abortion.
- ERA does not recognize gender differences, this means men and women must be treated the same way this would open the door to gender neutral bathrooms and more