CHICAGO - It's been a year since Dan Duffy left the Illinois State Senate, and, he says, time has flown by. He's continuing public service, but in a different way. Duffy's now the president and CEO of Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA).
"Once again I am fighting for a cause I believe in – supporting the next generation of entrepreneurs, innovators and creators," Duffy wrote last week. "Yet, unlike government, when I make a decision here it actually gets implemented immediately. Very satisfying. [House Speaker] Mike Madigan does not have a say in what I do now!"
Indeed, President Donald Trump declared April Child Abuse Prevention Month to draw attention to and appreciation for healthy families and community workers that help recognize and help families in crisis.
"The family is society's most important institution, and its impact on human potential is unmatched by any other influence that government, education, or even community can wield," Trump's proclamation says. "We must promote strong families. By respecting and supporting parents, we will reduce risks and increase the safety and protection critical to our children's happiness and success."
Duffy's first year leading the national organization has been successful, and he's proud of it.
"Over this past year we have broken all previous fundraising records and have made the difficult decisions necessary to streamline operations," Duffy told donors in a letter last week. "We have established a solid foundation that will prepare us for future growth."
Some of the highlights for the past year include:
- Increased total revenues from all Chapters and Healthy Family America sites nationwide, including all 501c3’s, to over $330 million with a combined staff of 6000 team members.
- Doubled our National Office cash on hand and exceeded our Strategic Plan fundraising goal.
- Received TOP-RATED charity awards from every major charity oversight organization, including CHARITY NAMIGATOR, with 92 cents of every dollar donated going directly into our programs and services.
- Streamlined Operations, renegotiated contracts and cut our 2016 budgeted expenses by 10 percent.
- Visited 24 states (Chapters, Healthy Family America sites and state legislatures) to build relationships with staff, donors and key partners.
- Branded PCAA and Healthy Families America with the identical pinwheel logo, our symbol of great childhoods.
- Designed, developed and implemented interactive social media sites that have tripled the number of engaged online donors (www.preventchildabuse.org).
When Duffy accepted the position at Prevent Child Abuse America after leaving the Illinois Senate, he said there was no better cause for which to fight.
“Our whole future, as individuals and as a country, is built on a healthy childhood. This position gives me the opportunity to combine all of my past experiences and passions for business, politics and public service," he said. "My goal is to expand our services across the U.S. and help educate every family in America.”
Looks like the former senator's well on his way to achieving that goal.