PHILADELPHIA -U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders lost the nomination for president, but as a runner-up prize, he and his supporters moved the Democrat National Convention's 2016 platform far to the Left.
That unprecedented "progressive" shift can be attributed to email evidence that the DNC powers-that-be broke party rules and used resources to favor Hillary Clinton as the party's nominee. The Wiki-leaked correspondence embarrassed DNC officials and led to DNC Chairman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz's expected resignation after the convention.
Senator Sanders boasted of the platform shift in his prime-time speech to the convention Monday night. Here's the key points the DNC platform now includes that Sanders took credit for winning:
- Support the $15-an-hour federal minimum wage
- Support for the Department of Justice to investigate all questionable or suspicious police-involved shootings
- Support marijuana legalization
- Support a carbon tax
- Oppose bank executives on Federal Reserve boards and ban golden parachutes for those taking government jobs
- Support Wall Street reform by stopping banks from choosing the credit agencies that rate their products
- Oppose tax loopholes for estates and hedge funds
- End the death penalty