SPRINGFIELD - Thursday, a group called the Agriculture Coalition endorsed gubernatorial candidate Bruce Rauner and running mate Evelyn Sanguinetti for the November 2014 ballot.
“Agriculture is the backbone of the Illinois economy,” Rauner said. “Our farmers feed people around the world and help drive our economy. As governor, I will be a champion for Illinois agriculture -- reducing tax and regulatory burdens on family farmers and expanding agricultural export opportunities around the globe."
Rauner's plan for Illinois agriculture economy includes being a vocal advocate for corn-based ethanol and biochemicals; manning agriculature-related state agencies with experienced farmers; prioritizing maintenance of Illinois' lock and dam, rail and other transportation systems; as well as encouraging education and entrepeneurism.
“Bruce Rauner is a visionary who has proven he can lead,” said coalition co-chairman Len Corzine. "Family farms like ours need new leadership in Springfield.”
"As a family farmer, I am excited about the prospect that a successful businessman like Bruce Rauner will be our next governor,” echoed coalition co-chairman Donna Jeschke. "As a farmer, my family cannot easily move our business to some other state to escape the increasing regulatory and tax burdens that Illinois imposes on its family businesses. Only a thriving business climate can turn around our economically-stressed state. I believe that Bruce Rauner will work to create jobs, improve our infrastructure, and lessen government-inflicted regulations that impede the success of family businesses and rural Illinois. Not only will Bruce Rauner be good for Illinois farm families but for each Illinois citizen as well."
Members of the Agriculture Coalition include (Titles and Associations are for Identification Purposes Only)
- Len Corzine- Fifth Generation Corn, Soybean, and Cattle Farmer Assumption, IL
- Donna Jeschke- Family Farmer from Mazon, IL
- Terry Ferguson- Corn and Soybean farmer Clinton, IL
- Garry Niemeyer- Corn and Soybean farmer Auburn, IL
- Adam Brown- State Rep 102 District and fifth generation farmer from Macon County
- Doug Wilson- Owner Operator DA Wilson Farms in Livingston County
- Jim Eichhorst- Corn and Soybean Farmer Champaign County
- Eldon Gould- Grain and Livestock Producer Kane County
- Andy Goleman- Corn and Soybean Farmer from Divernon, IL
- Sarah Frey-Talley- Owner Frey Farms
- Bill Graff- Corn, Soybeans, Wheat, Hay, and Cattle Producer from Logan County
- Penny Lauritzen- Past President of Illinois Agri Women
- Jim Schultz- Ag Entrepreneur
- Mellisa McMillan- Christian County Farm Bureau Manager Taylorville, IL
- Keith Mussman- Corn, Soybean, and Egg Producer Kankakee County
- Matt Hughes- Corn and Soybean Producer Shirley, IL
- George Obernagel III- Producer, Farm Manager, Ag Lender, and All-around Agribusinessman
- Troy Uphoff- Corn, Soybean, and Livestock Producer Findlay, IL
- Becky Doyle- Former Director of Illinois Agriculture and Agribusiness-woman