By Nancy Thorner -
Ongoing today in this nation is a full court press to convince the public that everybody knows that a catastrophic global warming looms over us, that human beings are the cause of it, and that the only solution is to turn more money and power over to the government to stop us from our dangerous ways of living.
The earth can be either warm or cool and has done both at one time or another for thousands of years, even before there were SUVs. Had there never been any global warming in the past, enjoying a visit to Yosemite Valley today would be impossible as it was once buried under thousands of feet of ice.
Forty-five years ago in the 1970's, the environmental hysteria was all about the dangers of a new ice age. This hysteria was spread by many of the same individuals who are promoting today's hysteria about global warming.
Today the far the political left's favorite argument is that there is no argument, that science is settled, despite the cooling trend in the 70's and now the absence of any warming for 17 years and 10 months.
Radical environmentalist Al Gore believes that disasters around the world can only be avoided by imposing a new form of authoritarian government. Democracy is dismissed as a model that can sustain the world. How then do climate alarmists like Al Gore explain the following discrepancy? Progress on the environmental front has been steady over the last half century without the transformative agenda now being proposed and enacted by President Obama to save the planet.
To President Obama climate change policies represent an important plank of his political agenda, one that Obama wants noted as an important presidential legacy achievement. Obama unequivocally accepts the claims made by climate change alarmists that are set forth by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). He is not at all hesitant to bash what he calls "climate deniers" and their obstruction by daring to debate science behind man-made global warming. So it was on Friday, May 9, in a speech at a California Wal-Mart that Obama once again proclaimed "climate change as a fact" and that climate change skeptics are wasting everybody's time on a settled debate.
In the mindset of President Obama, storms, floods and droughts have been made more severe by rising global temperatures. This despite a report by IPCC that shows there “is limited evidence of changes in extremes associated with other climate variables since the mid-20th century” and current data shows “no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century. … No robust trends in annual numbers of tropical storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes counts have been identified over the past 100 years in the North Atlantic basin.”
In keeping with the "science is settled" argument falsely being conveyed to gullible Americans by Al Gore, the Obama administration, other radical environmentalists, and the mainstream media, it was gratifying and most appropriate that nine individuals (with a surprise tenth award), were selected prior to Heartland's recent 9th International Conference on Climate Change through a request process solicited by The Heartland Institute for ideas and nominations of individuals world-wide who were willing to speak out against global warming alarmism. Without shame, The Heartland Institute considers it a badge of honor to have been called by The Economist in a May 26, 2011 article "the world’s most prominent think tank promoting skepticism about man-made climate change."
Heartland's ten award recipients, all global warming skeptics accorded by President Obama as climate deniers, are but representative of countless of scientists who are routinely shunned by politically correct universities and scientific societies by simply speaking truth to power. Climate skeptics or deniers often take great risks regarding their personal safety and their professional careers, which have cost them the promotions and rewards they might have otherwise received from their peers. Government money falls on those who seek grants to study global warming and then produce solutions for it. That money is not likely to fall on skeptic in the scientific community who refuse to join the global warming stamped.
The awards delivered at Heartland's conference were sponsored by eight organizations. Their purpose was to give long-overdue recognition and encouragement to the recipients, increase public awareness of the global warming realism movement, and send a signal to the academy and other elite institutions saying if they won't recognize our heroes, The Heartland Institute will. All of the ICCC9 videos can be viewed at this site.
Following are the ten award winners -- global warming heroes -- individuals you should know about who are deserving of your praise and congratulations for their willingness to speak out about global warming alarmism:
- "Speaks Truth to Power Award" to Dr. Patrick Moore, an internationally renowned ecologist and environmentalist who began his career as an activist/leader in the Greenpeace movement.
- "Frederick Seitz Memorial Award" to Dr. Sherwood Idso, president of the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, and the world's leading authority on the effects of carbon dioxide on plants.
- "Lifetime Achievement in Climate Science Award" to Dr. S. Fred Singer who was among the first and is still the most prominent scientist in the world speaking out against global warming alarmism. In the August 2007 issue of Imprimis (a publication of Hillsdale College), Dr. Singer wrote this excellent article: "Global Warming: Man-Made or Natural?"
- "Outstanding Spokesperson on Faith, Science, and Stewardship Award” to Dr. E. Cavin Beisner a theologian, historian and national spokesman for The Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation and author or co-author of several major papers and articles on global warming produced by the Cornwall Alliance.
- "Outstanding Evangelical Climate Scientist Award" to Dr. Roy W. Spencer, a former Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center where he and Dr. John Christy received NASA's Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal for their global temperature monitoring work with satellites. Dr. Spencer has made no secret of his evangelical faith.
- "Excellence in Climate Science Communication Award" to Tom Harris, the founder and executive director of the International Climate Science Coalition, a non-partisan group of independent scientists, economists, and energy and policy experts who are working to promote better understanding of climate science and policy worldwide.
- "Courage in Defense of Science Award" to Dr. Willie Soon, who as an astrophysicist and a geoscientist he is a leading authority on the relationship between solar phenomena and global climate. His discoveries challenge computer modelers and advocates who consistently underestimate solar influences on cloud formation, ocean currents, and wind that cause climate change.
- "Climate Science Whistleblower Award" to Dr. Alan Carlin, now retired, who was a career environmental economist at EPA when the Competitive Enterprise Institute broke the story of his negative report on the agency's proposal to regulate greenhouse gases in June, 2009. Dr. Carlin's supervisor had ordered him to keep quiet about the report and to stop working on global warming issues.
- Surprise Heartland Award: "Dauntless Purveyor of Climate Truth Award" to Viscount Monckton of Brenchley (Lord Christopher Monckton) who has for years been crisscrossing the globe sharing the inconvenient truths about global warming. Known as the high priest of climate skepticism, Lord Monckton advised Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Monckton has attended United Nations conferences since the Rio Conference in 1991, during which time steps have been taken to create what is in effect a world government. He urged conference attendees to write their congressmen and senators, telling them to press for the inclusion of an escape clause in the Treaty of Paris that will permit any State to resign from its obligations by giving a few months' notice. In that way, as the world continues to fail to warm anything like as fast as predicted, nations can break free from the regime of terror by stealth that has been furtively planned.
- "Voice of Reason Award" to Dr. Arthur Robinson, a distinguished chemist, co-founder of the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, and editor of the newsletter “Access to Energy.”
It is worth noting that Dr. Art Robinson, as the internationally respected scientist that he is, is running in Oregon Congressional District 4 against Democrat Peter DeFazio, who cast one of the four deciding votes for Obamacare after telling Oregonians he would vote against it. This is Art Robinson's third attempt to defeat Democrat Peter DeFazio, the first attempt being in 2010. Robinson wants to restore sorely needed common sense in Washington, D.C. He is not afraid to speak up publicly on behalf of sound science and common sense. May he encourage others to follow the same course of action in the political arena.
Robinson's book, Common Sense in 2012, although published and distributed in 2012, is just as relevant to the problems this nation is facing today as it was two years ago.
This is your chance to get behind candidate Art Robinson, Ph.D., one of the ten distinguished award winners at Heartland's Ninth International Conference on Climate Change. Send an outstanding scientist to Congress in November. His "Voice of Reason Award" should serve him well in his role as a U.S. Congressman on the Chamber floor.
More on Heartland's 9th International Conference on Global Warming: