Evidently, the reverend has lost faith in the power of prayer - at least when it comes to life's most challenging struggles.
“Praying will not get my relative out of jail. Praying will not get my student debt relieved. Praying will not get me a job,” the Sun-Times reports Jackson said at the pulpit. Then he went on with more bad news: “We are free, but not equal.”
Then Jackson turned to his typical attack on Republicans, this time saying they want to cut government programs like food stamps and resist raising the minimum wage.
“Did you know that in the 11 Southern states that had slaves . . . those who were Jefferson Davis Democrats are now Reagan Republicans?” he asked.
Jackson's angry rant followed a few words from GOP gubernatorial candidate Bruce Rauner, who was on hand to visit the black congregation and acquaint them with his campaign's emphasis on education and jobs.
Shortly after Rauner left the service, he held a press conference with his running mate Evelyn Sanguinetti where the Rauner campaign's Latino coalition was announced with the following community leaders on board for Rauner:
- Mark Aguilera – President of TorreBlanc, LTD.
- Peter Aguilera – President and General Manager at All A Electric and Contractors Inc.
- Phillip Barreda
- Juventino Cano- President Cano Containers in Aurora
- Jovita Carranza- Former Deputy Administrator of the Small Business Association
- Ramon Cepeda - Managing Director of the Investor Real Estate Group
- Hugo Chaviano – Partner at Sanchez Daniels & Hoffman LLP
- Gloria Cudia – Marketing & Communications professional
- Rev. Ruben Cruz – Pastor at First Spanish Christian Church of Chicago
- Joseph Galvan – Entrepreneur
- Rey Galvan- Vice President of Fidelity Title
- John Guevara – Winnebago County Board Member
- Ric Gruber Jr- Attorney, Webdev and Designer
- Caritina Mayer – CPA
- Frank Martinez- Vice President of Realty Matrix Realty
- Myles Mendoza– Executive Director of Ed Choice Illinois
- Ray Montelongo – Founder and CEO of Montel Technologies, LLC
- Steve Orlando – Vice President of Sales at Candos Agency
- Manny Sanchez – Founding partner of Sanchez Daniels & Hoffman LLP
- Bennet Santana- President of Business Staffing of America, Inc, President of Latin America Chamber of Commerce