CHICAGO - The Chicago Catholic Archdiocese is working to ease a $10 million deficit by closing six more Chicago area schools next fall, after closing five in 2013.
A statement issued from the Archdiocese says despite the Church's investment of $100 million in the last five years to operating their schools over and above the local parishes' contributions, the Archdiocese will not be able to continue to offer the subsidies at the past levels.
"Last year the Office of Schools developed a strategic plan aimed at building a viable, high-quality network that will be responsive to the needs of our communities," the statement issued Thursday evening said.
"However, our analysis of demographic shifts confirmed that, despite historic growth in the system overall, some schools would be difficult to stabilize and some closures would likely be required over time. Many of these schools are in areas where the population of school children has declined and some had physical plants that did not lend themselves to today's instructional requirements."
The families of the 775 children affected by the six school closures will be encouraged to transfer their children to nearby Catholic schools and offered tuition discounts to offset any inconvenience.
"We are committed to providing a high-quality educational and faith formation experience to every child in our schools," said Sr. Mary Paul McCaughey, O.P., Superintendent of Schools for the Archdiocese of Chicago. "By focusing our resources on schools that are well positioned to attract an optimum enrollment level and equipped to meet the needs of a modern curriculum we can help ensure this network will remain sustainable over the long term."