We are writing as a coalition of Illinois’ major employers and civic groups to ask you to support the bipartisan pension reform bill that was agreed to by the four legislative leaders last week. The bill is to be discussed on December 3rd in a Conference Committee hearing.
The pension crisis is by far the most pressing economic issue facing the State of Illinois today. Despite rapidly escalating pension contributions that are consuming the State’s budget and crowding out funding for critical State services, the fiscal health of the pension funds themselves continues to deteriorate. The bill is a good bill and deserves your support. It incorporates a number of benefit reforms that have been widely discussed and that we have supported in the past.
While not a solution to all of the state’s fiscal problems, this bill is a significant step forward. It will stabilize the pension systems and help put Illinois on the path to fiscal stability. We should note our strong support is conditioned only on the final language of the bill reflecting the reform provisions previously outlined.
We urge you to vote in the best interest of every Illinois citizen, public employee and pensioner and vote yes for the bipartisan pension reform bill.
- John A Carpenter - Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
- Tyrone C. Fahner - Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago
- Laurence J. Msall - Civic Federation
- David E. Miller - Illinois Biotechnology Industry Organization - iBIO
- Jeffrey D. Mays - Illinois Business Roundtable
- Douglas L. Whitley - Illinois Chamber of Commerce
- Gregory W. Baise - Illinois Manufacturers' Association
- David F. Vite - Illinois Retail Merchants Association
- MarySue Barrett - Metropolitan Planning Council
- Kim Clarke Maisch - National Federation of Independent Business
- Carol S. Portman - Taxpayers' Federataion of Illinois