"The reality of politics may have stymied our country’s progress, but it has not hindered my resolve to move our country forward. I have represented you well with a consistent record to stop government abuse, restrain a runaway federal government, and empower the American people with greater opportunities.
I want you to be one of the first people to know that I am officially running for re-election to represent Illinois' 14th District in Congress.
While serving as your Congressman in the first nine months of 2013, I have worked to represent you and your interests in the House. As your advocate, together we have:
- Forced the Senate to pass their first budget in more than four years by threatening to take away their paychecks through the No Budget, No Pay Act, which is legislation mirrored after the very first bill I introduced as a Congressman.
- Supported legislation that resulted in cuts of billions of dollars from the federal budget and reduced the size and burden of government.
- Passed commonsense legislation known as the REINS Act to ask regulators and Congress to slow down and think about the impact that regulations have on our economy before they are implemented.
- Voted more than 40 times to defund, repeal, amend, and diminish the scope of Obamacare because the law is truly flawed, unaffordable, and eliminates your choices for the medical care you deserve. Our work is not over.
- Supported H.R. 5, the Student Success Act, to restore state and local control of education and to prohibit the use of federal funds for pushing states to adopt one-size-fits-all federally supported Common Core standards.
- Created a jobs training program infrastructure through passage of the SKILLS Act to help get Illinoisans back to work.
- Faithfully fought for religious freedom and the rights of the unborn child.
I have tried my best to represent you well and I hope that you are proud of the way I have served you in Washington. Tough times lay ahead, but I’m optimistic that together we can turn our country around.
Thank you for your support in the past and I hope to have your support in the future."