DALLAS - Hinting at an interest in running for the U.S. presidency in 2016, Sunday in the Dallas Morning News, U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) made public his birth certificate in response to questions about his birth in Canada. Cruz' December 22, 1970 birth in Alberta Canada and his parents' citizenship allow him to claim dual citizenship, which he will hold until he denounces citizenship in one of the two.
Cruz' family background has re-stirred a debate first raised by President Barack Obama's birthplace and his parents' citizenship status.
The Constitution's requirements for the U.S. presidency are fairly general:
Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.
- Anyone born inside the United States *
- Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
- Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
- Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
- Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
- Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
- Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
- A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.