WASHINGTON - The mainstream media's current whipping boy is Americans for Tax Reform's Grover Norquist, whose anti-tax pledges that so many politicians signed to garner votes from conservatives, only to curse the pledge when it means they must make tough votes. Norquist is unfazed by this negative press. How does he respond? Hiding, groveling, apologizing? No. He stays calm and steady and comes back with more reasons to show why he's right and always has been right on the tax issue. America doesn't have a revenue problem, it does have a spending problem.
But now Norquist has more bad news. While lawmakers are in a tizzy about the Bush tax cuts' pending sunset and the financial doom that awaits if they don't go along with Barack Obama's demand to increase taxes on those making $250,000 or more, Norquist lists five new Obama taxes that will hit January 1, no matter what happens with the "fiscal cliff:"
- The Obamacare Medical Device Tax – a $20 billion tax increase
- The Obamacare “Special Needs Kids Tax” – a $13 billion tax increase
- The Obamacare Surtax on Investment Income – a $123 billion tax increase
- The Obamacare “Haircut” for Medical Itemized Deductions – a $15.2 billion tax increase
- The Obamacare Medicare Payroll Tax Hike -- an $86.8 billion tax increase