The proposed wording of the document is as follows:
Will County Declaration of Independence from Chicago-style Politics
We hold these truths to be self-evident ….
That the people of all counties are created equal, that they are endowed with certain Rights.
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
That whenever any leaders of Government become destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to remove them.
The inept and often corrupt leadership of Chicago and Cook County has caused significant damage not only to their own county, but also the entire state. State leadership, all from Chicago, has conspired essentially to colonize the County of Will for the benefit of themselves. Will County Democrats shown that their loyalty is to Chicago politicians and not to the residents of Will County. To prove this, let the facts be submitted to a candid world;
The new congressional map sliced Will County into pieces. Half of all Will County Congressional Districts will be represented in Congress by a Chicago politician, like Congressman Bobby Rush, a convicted criminal and former Black Panther Street Gang Defense Minister; like Jesse Jackson Jr., currently under investigation for ethics violations in Congress and like Dan Lipinski appointed by Democrat insiders to fill his father’s vacancy, skipping the primary.
• All Democratic Will County State Representatives and State Senators voted in favor of this map which gives control to Cook County.
• Will County Democrat elected officials stood silently as their home county was cut apart.
• In the middle of the night on the last day of the lame duck session, Chicago politicians passed a 67% income tax increase. Not one Democratic State Representative or State Senator from Will County voted against the bill.
• Over 25% of the RTA sales tax collected in Will County goes to the Chicago Transit Authority pension system.
• Will County residents provide the majority of school district funding. Chicago schools are funded primarily from our state and federal tax dollars.
• While Will County is still suffering from an unemployment rate much higher than the national average, Will County Democrats continue to push for property tax increases.
• Will County Democratic leaders have used their positions for personal and family enrichment by providing free state university tuition to the politically connected at a time when families are struggling to provide for higher education for their children.
• Like the hereditary monarchy of England in 1776, Will County Democratic leaders have by-passed the primary election process to appoint to offices their friends and relatives like Larry Walsh Sr., A. J. Wilhelmi, Pat McGuire, and Larry Walsh Jr., who are loyal to the Chicago controlled Democrat machine instead of loyal to the citizens of Will County.
We, therefore, declare Will County’s independence from Chicago-style politics. And for support of this Declaration, We Will:
• Faithfully serve the citizens of Will County, not special interest or political groups.
• Stand strong against Chicago politicians taxing Will County residents to bail out Chicago and Cook County.
• Promote spending cuts over tax increases.
• Support the election process and protect the right of Will County residents to choose their candidates.
• Restore integrity to Will County government.
• Open employment and contractual opportunities to all Will County residents and end the long practice where the politically connected are given special consideration.