LAKE COUNTY - Six Lake County businesses are accused of selling illegal synthetic marijuana as a result of an undercover operation that received assistance from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, authorities announced Thursday. Authorities said $103,200 was seized from the six stores, along with the phony pot, six grams of real marijuana, four grams of heroin, drug paraphernalia, four semiautomatic pistols and two vehicles.
Synthetic cannabis is a psychoactive designer drug derived of natural herbs sprayed with synthetic chemicals that, when consumed, allegedly mimic the pleasurable effects of cannabis.
Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran said the Lake County Board will address the stores’ business licenses at some point. The following are the businesses where authorities said the fake pot was found:
- Waukegan Liquors, 2827 Belvidere Road in Waukegan
- Gages Lake Food and Liquor, 18495 W. Old Gages Lake Road in Gages Lake
- Discount Tobacco, 816 E. Grand Ave., Fox Lake
- Ma and Pa’s Grocery, 37737 Green Bay Road, Beach Park
- 41 News, 41440 Route 41, Wadsworth
- Glen Rock Liquor and Mini-Mart, 834 Glen Rock Ave., Waukegan.
From the Daily Herald