In response to Senator Kirk Dillard's comments published on Illinois Review earlier Wednesday, Lombard alderman Peter Breen writes:
Sen. Kirk Dillard's false statements about me and about his support for red light speed cameras require but a simple response: Follow the money.
Kirk Dillard has taken donations from red light camera companies, including "RedSpeed," as recently as last year – well after legislators knew all the facts about red light cameras and why they should be opposed to them.
Folks can draw their own conclusions as to whose loyalty can be bought and whose can’t.
I can’t speak for Kirk Dillard’s current constituents, but the new district he seeks to represent includes my home town of Lombard, along with Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and Elmhurst – all communities that have rejected red light cameras. The voters will speak on March 20 whether they support Kirk’s decision to stand with Rahm Emanuel and the Mayor’s characterization of these cameras as “school zone cameras” – a term that red light camera proponents use to conceal the fact that these cameras will cover over half of Chicago and not merely the few marked “school zones” in that city.
As for me, I strongly support Chris Nybo for his record of hard work and honesty during his time as an elected official. My strong support became public support when I considered Kirk Dillard’s many suspect actions over the years:
- voting to spend taxpayers’ money on research that destroys human life, betraying commitments he made in writing to the pro-life community;
- voting to raise taxes on DuPage County residents by $226 million;
- voting for a massive expansion of gambling;
- voting for Rod Blagojevich’s $10 billion bond deal;
- taking $250,000+ in campaign cash from teacher’s unions, at a time when teacher pensions are bankrupting the state; and
- as a long-sitting Republican State Senator, making an endorsement commercial for a Democrat, then-candidate Barack Obama.
Soon enough, the voters of the 24th District will decide which kind of senator they want to serve them. I'll be voting Nybo.