Eleven Republican senators from Illinois are getting kudos from the radical Leftist People's World website for promoting "immigrant rights" by supporting the Illinois DREAM Act this week. People's World extols the Illinois DREAM Act and Governor Pat Quinn making Illinois the first state to pull out of the federal Secure Communities deportation emphasis program as a "double boost" for those who've entered American borders illegally.
On Wednesday, May 4, the Illinois Senate passed the Illinois DREAM Act with a strong bipartisan 45-11 vote. The bill, SB 2185, would establish a state "Dream" commission to administer privately funded scholarships to as many as 95,000 students of immigrant parents.
The measure aims to amend current law so that Illinois residents, and not just citizens may access the state's college savings program. It would also require high school counselors to get trained on dealing with the challenges and hurdles that undocumented youth face in accessing higher education opportunities.
Further, the law would allow undocumented youth aged 18 to 29 with taxpayer identification cards to invest in the state's Bright Start and College Illinois programs. Supporters note no taxpayer dollars would be used.
The Republican and Democratic senators that voted for the Illinois DREAM Act are listed HERE.
(Photo above from People's World)
- VIDEO: Madigan and Cullerton support weakening deportation laws
- UPDATE: Illinois DREAM Act unanimously passes Senate Exec Committee
- UPDATE: Illinois Senate passes state DREAM Act
- Illinois Tea Party blasts senators for DREAM Act vote
- Senator Althoff defends this week's DREAM Act vote
- No way is Illinois' DREAM Fund affiliated with Federal DREAM Act, says Sandack