The Palatine Tea Party's outrage about IL GOP senators supporting a state DREAM Act as posted on Illinois Review Saturday afternoon is beginning to draw regional attention -- see Instapundit, Gateway Pundit and Memeorandum.
Those eleven Republican senators are defending their votes by pointing out that illegal immigrants already have access to in-state tuition rates for state universities and the new scholarships being set up through Illinois are voluntary, not taxpayer-funded.
Opponents such as the Palatine Tea Party and Illinois Tea Party are responding to the controversial SB 2185's Illinois Senate passage by pointing out problems in the DREAM Act that could encourage illegal immigrants to Illinois. SB 2185 requires high school counselors be trained to inform illegal immigrants'children about resources available to them to acquire higher education, a cost to local schools paid for by taxpayers. HB 2185 also drops the prerequisite that those participating in the state's college savings programs no longer be Illinois, and therefore, U.S. citizens. The state-authorized savings program would now be open to Illinois residents.
When added to Illinois' unique taxpayer-funded health care program for children of illegal citizens and a growing number of cities and counties becoming "sanctuary" for illegal immigrants, HB 2185 adds insult to injury for those concerned about the growing number of illegal residents in Illinois. At the same time, a growing number of Illinois taxpayers are concerned that those who've entered America illegally are not being deterred by the fear of punishment for breaking immigration law, but instead are being welcomed and therefore, their illegal behavior is encouraged.
The Illinois DREAM Act now moves to the Illinois House for consideration before the end of the session, scheduled to be May 31st.
- VIDEO: Madigan and Cullerton support weakening deportation laws
- UPDATE: Illinois DREAM Act unanimously passes Senate Exec Committee
- UPDATE: Illinois Senate passes state DREAM Act
- Illinois Tea Party blasts senators for DREAM Act vote
- Senator Althoff defends this week's DREAM Act vote
- No way is Illinois' DREAM Fund affiliated with Federal DREAM Act, says Sandack
- People's World congratulates GOP senators for supporting IL DREAM Act
- Palatine Tea Party begins to boil: Failed Priorities of IL Senate Republicans