Apparent presidential candidate U.S. Senator Barack H. Obama is an active member of the Trinity United Church of Christ, located in Chicago's South Side. Obama and his wife Michelle were married at the church fourteen years ago, when Trinity's current pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Jr., performed their wedding ceremony. (Rev. Wright pictured with Obama)
Trinity UCC's motto is "Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian."
One wonders how America's commitment to the black community would change with a member of Trinity's congregation in the White House.
Below are the church's 12-precepts and covenantal statements called the "Black Value System."
(Update: 02.20.2008 -- The TUCC.org's website has been recently revamped and the Black Value System was moved to a less prominent page A link is at the very bottom now.)
- Commitment to God
- Commitment to the Black Community
- Commitment to the Black Family
- Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
- Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
- Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
- Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
- Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
- Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
- Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
- Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
- Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.
I'm especially interested in learning more about how one adheres to the "Black Work Ethic" and disavows the pursuit of "Middleclassness."